In 2013, 613 people were killed in vehicle accidents on Kentucky roadways. Thousands more were injured with some of them left permanently disabled. In just a few moments, lives can be changed forever. Those who have lost loved ones in car accidents that were caused by another’s negligence may be able to obtain compensation for their loss by contacting a car accident attorney and filing a wrongful death lawsuit. Those who are injured also may need legal assistance. If you were injured in a vehicular accident, you know how overwhelming it can be as medical expenses pile up. Your stress is compound if you are unable to work and are losing wages while you are recovering from the life-changing injury. Your income decreases as your expenses increase. Your injuries may be so serious that you may not be able to return to your former employment if you can return to work at all. Insurance companies are notorious for making a low settlement offer at times like this. They know you need money and expect you not to consider your future medical expenses or lost wages. This is the time for you to call a car accident attorney who will evaluate your case and zealously work for you to obtain all the compensation to which you are entitled.
Compensation To Which You May Be Entitled
The compensation after a car accident you are entitled to when you are injured in a car accident that was the fault of another driver are designed to return you as much as possible to the situation you were in prior to the accident. The legal jargon is “to make you whole” Your injuries may be so severe that making you whole is impossible. There is no way you will ever be in the same physical condition as you were prior to the accident. Here are some damages you may be able to receive that will help:
- Lost wages.This includes wages you lost due to time off work for immediate medical treatment. Depending on the nature of your injury or injuries, you may not be able to work in the future. If this is the case, you are entitled to future lost wages. If you need retraining because you cannot return to you former employment due to your injury and the new job pays less than the old one, you are entitled to be compensated for the difference.
- Medical expenses.Some injuries are so severe; you may need medical care for your entire life. You are entitled to be compensated for current medical expenses and all future medical expense you are expected to incur.
- Cost of job retraining if you are unable to return to your former employment
- Long term medical and nursing care if required
- Pain and suffering.
- Punitive damages: damages awarded to punish someone who has done something wrong, are generally not available in personal injury cases based on negligence. In some cases, if an accident was caused because of gross negligence or with conscious disregard for the life of another, punitive damages may be available. A car accident attorney will be able to properly advise you about this.
The law requires a lawsuit be filed within a certain period of time after the accident. If you were injured, you need to contact a car accident attorney as soon as possible. He or she will evaluate you case and can advise you about how to proceed. If you have questions, contact a lawyer at Edwards & Kautz to discuss it. We can be reached at 866-795-5087 or by filling out a form on our website.