Approachable Attorneys Who Won’t Back Down

The attorneys of Edwards & Kautz
  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  | How does insurance handle hit-and-run accidents?


How does insurance handle hit-and-run accidents?

On Behalf of | Aug 28, 2018 | Car Accidents |

If you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident, you may be unsure how to get compensation for your damages and injuries. You must carefully document the accident for your insurance company and the police. However, that can be more difficult than just any collision since the other driver left the scene.

You’ll want to collect as much information about the scene as you can. If possible, obtain their license plate number, a description of the vehicle and which direction they went after leaving the scene. You’ll also want to get photos of the damage to your vehicle, and record the timeline of the accident.

Youve been in a hit-and-run accident, now what?

  1. Pull over and make sure everyone in the vehicle is okay
  2. Try to record as many details about the incident as possible
  3. Call the police
  4. Call your insurance company and file the hit-and-run claim

If you can identify the person who hit you, you can get the car insurance information from your insurance company or the policy and file a claim with their insurance company.

Who pays for your damages?

This will depend on if you can identify the hit-and-run driver, and depends on what state you reside in. Your own car insurance usually pays for your hit-and-run claim, typically as uninsured motorist bodily injury (UMBI) and uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD). This essentially acts as the at-fault driver’s liability coverage. UMBI helps pay for injuries caused by the accident, and UMPD covers damages to your car.

Uninsured motorist coverage is optional in some states and required in others. It is not mandatory in Kentucky. Hit-and-run accidents can cause a great deal of damage and distress, especially if you can’t identify the at-fault driver. You’ll want to consider consulting with a personal injury attorney to review your claim.