Approachable Attorneys Who Won’t Back Down

The attorneys of Edwards & Kautz
  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  | Personal Injury FAQ: “I Was in an Accident With Someone From Another State. What Do I Do?”


Personal Injury FAQ: “I Was in an Accident With Someone From Another State. What Do I Do?”

On Behalf of | Jun 28, 2016 | Car Accidents, Personal Injury |

When you are injured in a car accident due to another’s negligence, it can be stressful and overwhelming. However, whether that bad driver who caused the accident is from Kentucky or California, Tennessee or Texas, your rights remain the same.

Your Rights

The first step is to recognize that Kentucky is a “no fault” state. If you are a Kentucky driver, or are insured by an insurance company that engages in the automobile insurance business in Kentucky, the first $10,000 of your medical bills are paid by your own insurance company. These “No Fault Benefits” are also known as “Personal Injury Protection” coverage.Next, once that $10,000 is exhausted, your medical bills may be placed on your personal health insurance. Your car insurance company will then seek reimbursement of that $10,000 from the negligent driver’s insurance company. A claim is also made against the negligent driver for your damages greater than that $10,000 amount. Kentucky state law requires –at a minimum– $25,000 worth of car insurance coverage per person, per car accident.Finally, regardless of the home state of that negligent driver, there are five areas of potential damages:

  1. Your medical expenses;
  2. Your future medical expenses;
  3. Your lost wages;
  4. The impairment of your power to earn money; and
  5. Your pain and suffering.

Being the innocent victim of a car wreck can be frustrating, no matter where the bad driver calls home. Edwards & Kautz Law Firm is here to help ease that frustration.