Approachable Attorneys Who Won’t Back Down

The attorneys of Edwards & Kautz
  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  | What should I do if I’m injured out of state?


What should I do if I’m injured out of state?

On Behalf of | Jun 27, 2023 | Car Accidents, Personal Injury |

The National Safety Council estimates that motor-vehicle injury costs in 2021 total around $498.3 billion in 2021. When faced with injuries and unfamiliar territory, the following may help you get the compensation you deserve.

Follow the standard process

No matter where an accident happens, always call the police and seek medical attention. This provides a record of the incident as well as helps validate potential injuries you may have sustained. Along with swapping insurance information, make a detailed account of the incident. If possible, get witness information and take photos of the scene. Additionally, avoid admitting any blame for the incident.

Determine jurisdiction

An out-of-state accident comes with added complexities. The jurisdiction to file a claim depends on where the defendant lives and the accident occurred. In some cases, these may differ. Once you know which state to file, that will also come with nuances. Many states have different laws involving accidents, such as fault laws and statutes of limitations. If it happens in a no-fault state, you may have to seek compensation from your personal insurance while at-fault states allow you to file the claim with the at-fault party’s insurer.

Seek legal help

Considering the extra complexities, consider consulting with a lawyer as soon as possible. You have the option to work with an in-state or out-of-state lawyer. Either will have the know-how to help ensure you receive the proper compensation to cover your physical and emotional injuries.

Any car accident comes with chaos and stress. If one happens, try to stay calm and follow the steps above to ease the aftermath.