Approachable Attorneys Who Won’t Back Down

The attorneys of Edwards & Kautz
  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Car Accidents
  4.  | Kentucky Is A No Fault State. What Does That Mean For Me After A Car Accident?


Kentucky Is A No Fault State. What Does That Mean For Me After A Car Accident?

On Behalf of | Aug 27, 2014 | Car Accidents |

A lot of clients will tell us that they were injured in a motor vehicle accident but didn’t receive the medical treatment they needed because they didn’t have health insurance. We inform them that in fact they did have coverage. It is required by law that everyone who drives a motor vehicle on the public roads of Kentucky, or anywhere for that matter, has car insurance. Because Kentucky is a No Fault state, it is also required that everyone have at least $10,000.00 worth of No Fault coverage. Also known as Personal Injury Protection, or PIP, this coverage is provided by your own car insurance company whenever you or a passenger of yours has been injured in a motor vehicle accident, regardless of fault. If you are injured in an accident, your car insurance company will pay the first $10,000.00 of the medical bills related to your accident. If the accident was not your fault, your insurance company will recoup this money from the other driver’s insurance company. The purpose of the PIP money is to allow you to receive the medical treatment you need in a prompt manner and to not allow any medical bills to go unpaid. This PIP money can also be used to replace lost wages due to a motor vehicle accident. If a treating physician has taken you off of work for at least one (1) week as a result of your motor vehicle accident, your car insurance company will pay up to $200.00 per week to you for lost wages. You can receive this lost wages compensation up to $200.00 per week for each week the treating physician has you off work. If you have questions or if you have been involved in a car accident, contact a lawyer at Edwards & Kautz Law Firm to discuss it. We can be reached at 270-908-4914 or by filling out a form on our website.